Sunday 14 June 2020

Kane Maharaj

Kane Maharaj
At the outset I thank one and all who have gone through my article SPARE A LITTLE TIME TO READ (Especially Youth)
With all fervor and enthusiasm. They not only went through the article thoroughly but also contributed their honest comments. Among them there are my superiors and friends while I was in service. Even today I get the same warmth from them and I feel it is Gods’ grace to make me be with them. Some friends of mine over phone lauded me for writing such an article which can be treated as a stepping stone for enthusiasts and researchers. I feel I am blessed.
While concluding my article, I wrote a statement of ‘Kane Mahraj’. My search in Google gave me two great people of the same surname. I felt, I better introduce both of them and hence this small write-up.
As both are great in their own way I give a small account of both the greats. While one is a very great scholar with Bharat Ratna Award to his credit, the other is a saint who dedicated his life to both Adhyatmikam and social service.
Pandurang Vaman Kane (pronounced Kaa-nay) (7 May 1880 – 8 May 1972) was a notable Indologist and Sanskrit scholar. He received India's highest civilian award Bharat Ratna in 1963 for his scholarly work that spanned more than 40 years of active academic research that resulted in 6,500 pages of History of Dharmaśāstra.
2. the most revered Saint Shri Kane Maharaj (popularly known as the Holy man distributing candy) Narayangaon, Pune District.
2. H.H. Kane Maharaj
Please find here under a small introduction of the great man.
 Name: Mr. Raghuvir Ranganath Kane
Date, place of birth: Holi Pournima (1932), Thane
Spiritual journey of H. H. Maharaj: Reading various Holy texts: Leveraging the opportunity of reciting the Holy texts to His mother He studied several Holy texts in which His mind began to get engrossed. After studying Yogavasishtha, He did an in-depth study of Prasthantrayi (i.e. combination of the commentary of Shrimadbhagwadgeeta, the Brahmasutras and the ten Upanaishads by Adi Sankaracharya).
He was also fond of Holy texts such as Eknathi Bhagwat, Pandav Pratap, Harivijay, Namdev Gatha, Tukaram Gatha, Bhakta Vijay and Dattaprabodh etc.
Being blessed with a divine vision of several spiritually evolved: Despite having a desire to marry He remained celibate only for the sake of God realisation. After becoming detached from the worldly life, He traveled barefoot from Thane to Gangapur by foot. At Gangapur, He lived a life devoid of all desires, similar to a beggar. He was blessed with the vision of Deity Dattatreya. In His further spiritual journey He was blessed with divine vision of Macchindranath, Shri Vasudevanand Saraswati, and Sri Samarth Ramdasswami etc.
Serving several Saints: H.H. Bhagwan Shridharswami from Sajjangad was His spiritual guide. Subsequently he stayed in Shrikrishna temple at Narsingpur (District Kolhapur). Thereafter He served a number of Saints such as H.H. Datta Chile Maharaj from Paijarwada near Kolhapur, H.H. Amalanand Maharaj of Pen, H.H. Anna Maharaj Joshi of Amravati, H.H. Anandashram Swami of Alandi and a great Saint from Indore (Madhya Pradesh) H.H. Bhakataraj Maharaj. He led a very simple life style.
Social service:  For many years He used to travel to several places and distribute lime flavored candy and Holy booklets of Haripath and Manache Shloka worth lakhs of rupees, to little children.
 He would personally buy new clothes and other gifts during Diwali festival and gift them to street boys and girls, and also shower them with His love.
A Scholar in Vedic literature Kane Maharaj would preach through stories or other ways depending upon the comprehension of the listener.
Paying obeisance a hundred times at their Holy feet!
I thank all who have read with all the interest for our culture and its torch bearers I take leave.

1 comment:

  1. I have come to know about shri Kane only now after reading yours thanks Gsvsubbarao

    ReplyDelete