Monday 17 September 2018

Gabriella Burnel

Gabriella Burnel

https://ramamohanraocheruku.blogspot.com/2018/09/gabriella-burnel-i-can-say-it-to-be.html

I can say it to be an enigmatic experience when I listened to an enchanting voice of a lady who looked more Godly in her attire and expression and rendition of the Shlokas in Sanskrit in an Indian Music Tune, I started searching for her name in Google and at last I could get a little information about her. She is Gabriella Burnel.

Gabriella Burnel is a Sanskrit scholar and an accomplished musician and musical theatre performer. After studying Sanskrit at Oxford, she completed a Masters in Drama at Goldsmith University in 2010. She has since written musicals for off-West End theatres in London and performed with the band Gabriella and The Planets. She has also launched “Bespoke Song for you”, a web-based service which offers a personalized song-writing service. It was through her website that The Song of Madālasā was commissioned.

She is well-known as a composer and performer of poems and hymns drawn from the Sanskrit tradition. Early in 2016, she set to music a hymn in praise of Adi Sankara which she also performed at a Teacher’s Day event in the London School of conomic Science.

In her own words: I first came across

the Sanskrit language aged perhaps 1 or 2 when just before I would go to sleep my Mum would chant a Sanskrit prayer. Maybe it went in one ear and out the other, but it helped me sleep and it cleaned the middle as it made its way through! Since then, I can honestly say Sanskrit has become a best friend to me, from being one of my chosen subjects at school from the age of 5-18, and then at Oxford University and beyond.

The sounds of Sanskrit resonate with me, they make me feel at ease, and they give me strength- and I hope to work with others to explore more of the magic, power and wonder that is Sanskrit.

Sanskrit has very much helped in my career. I am a singer, song writer and performer. Learning phrase and learning Sanskrit text has really helped me learning English Text.

When a foreigner developed inexplicable endearment for our language, music and culture I, at the age of 72, some how feel ashamed for not devoting enough time to think,to know, to assess, to assimilate and to exhort its greatness. I do not know how the youth feel.

If i am considered in the right spirit I take advantage of my age to ventilate my urge to the youth to think seriously to learn Sanskrit, Telugu and History of our country.





Expressing all my reverence to the passion of that great lady I wish her to take the language to the zenith along with her.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment